Sunday, May 19, 2013

Math Notebook Routines

Over the years I have loved the writer's notebook and in the past few years have gotten into using a reader's notebook, but I haven't used a math notebook.  It's hard to explain...but I just didn't.  Recently I've been reading a lot about mathematical thinking and learning.  Last summer I took Math Frameworks and we used Van de Walle Professional Math Series 3-5.

Our curriculum director is always on the lookout for good books and trends in education.  She offered a study group for 4th-8th grade teachers.  I weaseled my way in because I usually loop with my kids to 4th grade.  Minds on Mathematics: Using Math Workshop to Develop Deep Understanding in Grades 4-8 was the book to be "studied".  The group of teachers I worked with and the book helped to stimulate my thinking and questioning.  I came to understand that the math notebook helps children to process their thinking and to deepen their understanding.  In the CORE deeper understanding and explaining our thinking is a huge piece.
Minds on Mathematics
There are lots of ways to use a math notebook in the classroom, but routines with the notebook are important.  Each day when we come back from specials, it's snack time.  Time in the classroom is a precious commodity, so we have to use every minute.  When the kiddos bop into the room, there is a problem sitting out at their desk.  They get out their notebook, glue stick and pencil and get to work.  Our routines are in place for a reason, their brain can get thinking on the problem without any directions at all.  The bonus is they get to munch on their snack as they work.  Just to make sure they get going right away we have a scheduled time to start on the mini-lesson.

I find problems all over the place and frequently create my own.  I just put a problem set on Teacher's Pay Teacher's.  It has end of the year and beginning of summer type problems.  I like to keep the thinking going right up until the end and I must admit the kids like problems about SUMMER.

No comments:

Post a Comment